Research Specialist – Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Central Asia
Employment Type: Full-time
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who possesses an insatiable curiosity, dedication to quality, and a desire to be part of a rapidly growing company. The ideal candidate will have experience with military and/or international affairs; an interest in and knowledge of Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Central Asia-related issues; and excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
Periodic in-office work may be expected, but the majority of your time will be remote. Physical office space is in the Falls Church area, Metro accessible on the Orange Line (East Falls Church Metro).
Research Specialists develop informational products across an array of functional areas and build relationships with government customers. They extract information submitted through email and reporting, do independent research, and construct in-depth but easily digestible products based on this information. They also work with multiple data types and help develop mapping capabilities using tools like ArcGIS, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, QGIS, Google Earth, and others. Research Specialists are expected to interact with customers in-person, over the phone, and through email to build relationships and deep understandings of customer organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Work at the direction of Site Leads to make well organized, useful, and engaging unclassified articles, maps, and other products.
- Assist in the building and maintenance of relationships with key stakeholders, information contributors, and users.
- Identify, suggest, and execute key information-sharing initiatives that provide value to government and military organizations.
- Extract relevant content from a variety of sources and create articles and other products in a format tailored to the information needs of end users.
- Categorize and organize source material to create a user-friendly, interactive experience.
- Participate in mapping processes by gathering user requirements, collecting and organizing data, and helping to create static and interactive maps.
- Superior research and writing skills
- Experience and familiarity with conflict, humanitarian, and/or governance issues in Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Central Asia
- Ability to follow direction and function well in a small, fast-paced team
- Excellent at organizing disparate written material into a coherent whole
- Experience creating engaging written, graphical, and multimedia content
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising quality
- Ability and willingness to learn various computer and web-based applications
- US Citizen eligible for a security clearance
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
- Field experience in Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Central Asia
- Work experience with the military or federal government (such as the State Department, USAID, or other federal agencies).
- Experience facilitating collaboration between multiple stakeholder organizations
- Knowledge and experience using GIS tools (such as ArcGIS)
- Knowledge and experience using HTML and Python
- Foreign language skills, especially Chinese, Dari, Farsi, Pashto, or other Central Asian languages, such as Turkmen, Uzbek, Tajiki, and Urdu
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree
- Experience writing/editing reports preferred.
Tesla Government Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled