Job title: Solution Designer
Employment type: Full-time
The Solution Designer will join a team implementing an information sharing and collaboration platform serving the Department of State (DoS) and the agency’s partners. We build both internal- and external-facing knowledge management environments dedicated to supporting the mission of different DoS offices.
The Solution Designer will work closely with clients and the Tesla team to create and deliver client-specific solutions to multiple DoS offices. This position will be focused on using Tesla Government’s platform to answer data structuring and visualization, knowledge management, and collaboration requirements. The Solution Designer will be expected to work with project leaders in refining client requirements, incorporating feedback, and providing flexible, living solutions that can evolve as client missions do.
There are five key components of the work:
- Data Formatting and Structuring
- Take disparate data and find common themes to organize that data collectively. This structure becomes the basis of the data visualizations.
- Data Visualization
- Using software including Tesla Government software, Tableau, Splunk, and/or Python to create visualizations for anything from conflict events, program locations, missing reports, and more. These visualizations are integral to helping our clients learn from their data and make actionable recommendations.
- Knowledge Management
- Track requirements using scrum principles and Jira software
- Knowledge management including creating solutions for how to organize large spreadsheets and finding ways to make that data easily digestible through Tableau visualizations
- Content Creation
- Respond to user information needs while managing projects. This can include tracking project statuses and creating deliverables.
- Portal support including building and editing pages, and designing creative ways to display information in text and visualizations
- Client Interaction
- Client outreach including scoping requirements, providing training, updating clients on project statuses, troubleshooting access, and help desk support
- Support business development initiatives, including creating presentations, market research, and brainstorming solutions for data management problems
What You Will Learn:
- Gain an understanding of and a network within the State Department with firsthand experience working with three (and growing) bureaus.
- Learn the business development process – Tesla’s business contracts tripled in the last year alone and are expected to grow again this year. With each new contract, the opportunities available for the members of our team grows, and this position gets in at the ground floor of that expansion.
- Develop knowledge management and data skills.
- Receive on-the-job Tableau training. Tableau is quickly growing across the State Department, and learning how to build visualizations for everything from geospatial programming to tracking financial expenditures of a project is an important data skill.
- Educational benefits: Tesla can help support you getting a Tableau Certification, Project Management Certificate, Scrum Certificate, or other professional certifications as relevant.
- Upward job mobility as contracts expand.
Attributes of a Successful Solutions Designer:
- Have a mindset to organize complex information in an easily navigable way
- Ability to meet deadlines across multiple simultaneous projects
- Be technically savvy and have the ability and willingness to learn various computer and web-based applications
- Creative problem solver
- Independent and task focused
- Clear communicator
- Understands data structures and user outreach processes
- Team player
- US citizen
- Undergraduate degree or government experience
- Experience with and knowledge of data visualization platforms like Tableau or GIS experience strongly preferred
Tesla Government Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or on the basis of disability.