Job title: Research Specialist – Africa
Employment type: 1099 Contractor
Tesla Government Inc. seeks a Research Specialist for our Africa Team to support in-depth research and report writing.
Periodic in-office work may be expected, but the majority of your time will be remote. Physical office space is in the Falls Church area, Metro accessible on the Orange Line (East Falls Church Metro).
Applicants outside of the Northern Virginia area may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
About Tesla Government Inc.:
Tesla is a rapidly growing small business that contracts with the US government to provide research and information management services and technical platforms. Tesla takes a “quality over quantity” approach, working to ensure that we provide exemplary service to our customers. This approach begins with hiring excellent staff.
We look for all-stars and we treat them accordingly. We have a strong team atmosphere and love providing fun opportunities like Friday Trivia (come prepared, our staff whips out all their esoteric knowledge).
Research Specialists work with government and military users to help meet those users’ information needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (proportional breakdowns of responsibilities vary):
- Data and Content Standardization and Processing (50%)
- Implement changes to data and content, ensuring consistency and adherence to established standards
- Manage extensive compilations of reports to enable users to readily discover information
- Constantly find new ways to better relay information, leveraging visualizations and breaking up text
- Research & Writing (35%)
- Respond to user information needs by developing reports from open source research and official reporting
- Identify key emerging topics in the region and take the initiative to develop reports on the topics in advance of user requests
- Continuously review and revamp previously composed reports so that they maintain applicability and are of premium quality
- User Relationship Management (15%)
- Interact with government users in-person, over the phone, and through email to build and maintain relationships
- Provide virtual or in-person briefings to users on key evolving topics
- Provide trainings to users on navigating and leveraging online platforms and collaboration tools
- Identify, suggest, and execute key information-sharing initiatives that provide value to government and military organizations
- Other Duties, as Assigned
Attributes of a Successful Research Specialist
- Be technically savvy and have the ability and willingness to learn various computer and web-based applications
- Have a keen sense on how to discover hard-to-find information
- Have a mindset to organize complex information in an easily navigable way
- Ability to synthesize content from disparate sources to produce clean, clear, and concise reports on complicated subjects
- Ability to create engaging written, graphical, and multimedia content
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising quality
- Undergraduate degree or military experience
- Experience studying or working on international conflict, humanitarian, and/or governance issues
- US Citizen eligible for a security clearance
- Knowledge and experience using Python
- Foreign language skills, especially French, Arabic, Chinese, Amharic, Portuguese, Swahili and other languages relevant for working on Africa
- Study or work experience in Africa or China
- Work or internship experience with the military or federal government (such as the State Department, USAID, or other federal agencies)
- Experience facilitating collaboration between multiple stakeholder organizationsTo apply, please submit resume and cover letter.
Tesla Government Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or on the basis of disability.