Job Title: Research Specialist – Asia-Pacific
Employment type: Full-time
Location: Falls Church, VA or remote within the US (No Hawaii, Alaska, or California.)
The Role: Research Specialists work with government and military users to help meet those users’ information needs.
About Us: Tesla Government Inc. (no affiliation with the automotive company) is a rapidly growing small business, located in Falls Church, Virginia. Founded in 2009, Tesla Government’s initiatives are designed to improve how government agencies manage and share information internally while extending to other government agencies and external partners. With decades of federal, military, and NGO experience, our proven agile approach delivers results and impactful solutions within a swift timeframe. Our metrics-driven approach and focus on performance reduces risk and ensures rapid adoption and project success.
We offer Flex PTO, flexible work schedule, health benefits, 4% matching on 401k contributions, competitive compensation, work from home (telework), and an Apple MacBook Pro. We have a friendly, active work environment, and our projects make a difference.
Position Summary: Research Specialist for our Asia-Pacific Team to support in-depth research, report writing, user relationship management, and knowledge management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (proportional breakdowns of responsibilities vary):
- Research & Writing (55%)
- Respond to user information needs by developing reports from open source research and official reporting
- Identify key emerging topics in the region and take the initiative to develop reports on the topics in advance of user requests
- Continuously review and revamp previously composed reports so that they maintain applicability and are of premium quality
- User Relationship Management (30%)
- Interact with government users in-person, over the phone, and through email to build and maintain relationships
- Provide virtual or in-person briefings to users on key evolving topics
- Provide trainings to users on navigating and leveraging online platforms and collaboration tools
- Identify, suggest, and execute key information-sharing initiatives that provide value to government and military organizations
- Knowledge Management (15%)
- Help users manage their information, organizing it in an intuitive manner
- Manage extensive compilations of reports to enable users to readily discover information
- Constantly find new ways to better relay information, leveraging visualizations and breaking up text
- Other Duties, as Assigned
Attributes of a Successful Research Specialist:
- A keen sense on how to discover hard-to-find information
- Ability to organize complex information in an easily navigable way
- Ability to synthesize content from disparate sources to produce clean, clear, and concise reports on complicated subjects
- Ability to create engaging written, graphical, and multimedia content
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising quality
- Technically savvy and willingness to learn various computer and web-based applications
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Undergraduate degree or military experience
- Experience studying or working on international relations, strategic competition, conflict, development, law enforcement, and/or governance issues
- US Citizen eligible for a security clearance
- Advanced degree in foreign affairs, history, area studies, political science, governmental studies, or a related field
- Foreign language skills, especially Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or other relevant regional languages
- Study or work experience in Asia-Pacific region
- Work or internship experience with think tanks, development agencies, US military, or federal government
- Experience facilitating collaboration between multiple stakeholder organizations
- Knowledge and experience using Python or other data scraping/analysis tools
To apply to this position, please submit:
- A resume
- A cover letter
- A 3–5 page academic or professional writing sample
Salary: The wage range for this role takes into account the wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Tesla, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role. Compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $50-60k.
Tesla Government Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Tesla Government adheres to a policy of employment-at-will which allows either party to terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice.